How much do you really know about employee health in the recruitment workplace?
So, your company sick leave is at an all-time low, great! But does this mean employees are healthier?
Mental health in the workplace is just as important as physical health, and making your employees feel supported is one step into how you can help.
Take our quiz about health in the workplace to find out how much you know!
- What is the main cause of workplace stress in the UK?
a. Not getting on with colleagues
b. Lack of training and resources
c. Poor management
d. Lack of support
- What is currently the biggest cause of health-related absence in the UK?
a. Flu season
d. Minor injury
- In the year 2018/2019, what % of employees have had stress related issues but refused to take a sick day out of the guilt of doing so?
- What is age range is most likely to suffer from mental health problems?
- How many people in the UK will experience a mental health problem every year?
a. 1 in 2
b. 1 in 4
c. 1 in 6
d. 1 in 8
- What proportion of people in the UK believe that workplace stress contributed to their illness?
- What % of managers admit to having their work phone on them outside of office hours and when in annual leave?
- In the past year, what % of people have felt sop stressed they have been overwhelmed and unable to cope?
- What % of the UK workforce have been formally diagnosed with a mental health condition at some point in their lifetime?
- How many working days were lost in 2018/2019 due to work related stress, depression, or anxiety?
a. 6 million
b. 8.6 million
c. 12.8 million
d. 15 million
(Answers – 1=C, 2=B, 3=D, 4=C, 5=B, 6=D, 7=C, 8=D, 9=B, 10=C)
How did you do? Did anything surprise you?
If you’re a manager at work or just want to look out for your colleagues, here are a few signs that your colleagues may be struggling with their mental health:
- Physical symptoms, such as tiredness from lack or/disrupted sleep
- Lacking productivity, leading them to make more mistakes or becoming more indecisive
- Change in demeanour, becoming more easily irritated or angry
- Coming into work late, having more absences than usual
Open and supportive workplaces benefit everyone – employees, employers, and the bottom line.
Charity organisation, Mind, has produced a series of free resources to help improve mental wellbeing in your workplace which you can read online or download here.